Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Firm Name Providing Peace of Mind During Life’s Toughest Times.
  • Schedule a Consultation Today!
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Butler Parental Relocation Lawyer

Each year, 16 percent of Americans move from their current homes. 43 percent of the people who do so, move outside of their former metropolitan area, according to Psychology Today. Divorced parents are no different. According to the Financial Planning Association, between 17 and 25 percent of custodial parents move out of their area within two years of divorce. Often, getting divorced is just one part of a dramatic life-changing overhaul. Divorced parents often pick up a new hobby, get a different job, make an entirely different career change, go back to school, and/or move out of the city or state. No matter the reason behind the move, whether it is for their occupation or to be closer to friends and family, it will have a big impact on the current parenting plan. Custodial parents and non-custodial parents alike need to work with a Butler parental relocation lawyer to figure out how the move will impact the parenting plan, and determine who the parenting plan will change as a result.

Relocating With a Child

If you have sole legal custody of your child or children, moving to a new city or state is much easier than if you are shared legal custody. If you have joint physical or joint legal custody, and you wish to bring your child or children with you, you must first ask the other parent to do so. If they give you permission, you must obtain permission from the court. In order to gain the court’s consent, it must be established that the move is in the child’s best interest. This could mean they are closer to family members who can provide care and guidance, it could mean a better economic situation, or the move could present them with a better education. Regardless, to change an existing custody arrangement by moving out of the city or state, a custodial parent must establish that it is in the child’s best interest to do so, unless they get permission from the other custodial parent.

Working on Behalf of Parents Who Do Not Want a Relocation

Hearing that the other parent plans to take your child out of the state or far away to another city can be terrifying. You cherish the limited time that you have with your child, and as it stands that time is all too short. A big move would dramatically impact your ability to see and be with your child on a regular basis. Our lawyers work on behalf of parents who wish to keep the other parent from taking their child away. This could mean that you keep the current physical custody situation that you have, or gain additional physical custody rights if the other parent decides to move anyways.

Contact a Butler Parental Relocator Lawyers Today

Our Butler family relocation lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C. are experienced with assisting the parent wishing to move, as well as the parent who is remaining behind. Reach out to us today at 412-391-4330 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Get started today by filling out the quick consultation form. Upon receipt, we will get in touch to schedule a confidential consultation and discuss your needs.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation