Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Pittsburgh Parental Relocation Lawyer

Pittsburgh Parental Relocation Lawyer

A divorce is often only one of the first steps towards a series of changes in the married couple’s lives. They may look for new jobs or careers, go back to school, or realize the need to be closer to other family members. When children are involved, however, matters can become complicated. Although custody arrangements established during divorce proceedings are intended to be the final word on the matter, Pennsylvania law contemplates that people’s lives change. As such, custody orders are always modifiable. If you find a new career opportunity in another state, or you believe your children would benefit from living nearer to your extended family, you may seek to move and bring your children along with you. To do so, you will need to modify the terms of your custody arrangement. The Pittsburgh family relocation lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., can help.

Relocating With Children After Divorce

If you are the custodial parent and you wish to move to a new city far away from where you currently reside or to a new state, you must ensure that the move does not violate an existing court order or custody arrangement. If your former spouse or co-parent has visitation or physical custody rights, you cannot simply move without their consent. Instead, you will first need to ask their permission. You must also follow certain procedural steps in modifying your custody order even if the other parent agrees to the relocation. Some co-parents will accept the move, and they might even choose to move along with you if their job and life so permit. However, many co-parents will challenge the move as violative of their custody rights. A notice of intention to relocate must be filed prior to any proceeding can be held to address the relocation. An experienced custody relocation attorney can guide you through this process.

If the co-parent does not consent to the move, you will need to obtain permission from the court to make a move. Your custody relocation attorneys will help you file a petition with the court to modify the custody arrangement to permit the move. You will need to propose an alternate custody arrangement that permits the co-parent to continue to exercise their communication and custody rights with their children, as feasible.

Factors Considered in Relocation Cases

If you are trying to move with your children over the objection of your children’s co-parent, the final decision will be left up to the Pennsylvania family court. The court will hold a hearing at which you and your attorney can present witnesses, evidence, and arguments, after which the judge will decide whether to permit modification of the custody order. The court may decide to permit the move with the children and order a modification of the custody order, or the judge may deny the request and assert that the children must remain in Pittsburgh, with or without the relocating parent. If the court denies the relocation request and you still need to move, then your co-parent may wind up with greater custody.

If you are seeking to relocate with your children, the seasoned and compassionate child custody lawyers at Bunde & Roberts can help you make the strongest arguments in favor of custody modification. If your former spouse is trying to take your children to a new state and significantly change your custody rights, our child custody attorneys will help you preserve and protect your parental rights.

Experienced Help from a Dedicated Pennsylvania Parental Relocation Lawyer

If you are a parent subject to a custody order and you need to relocate with your children, or if your former spouse is trying to move your children to a new state without your consent, the dedicated Pittsburgh relocation attorneys at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., are ready to help. Reach out to the Pennsylvania family law firm Bunde & Roberts, P.C., by phone today at 412-391-4330 for a consultation. Let us help you protect your family and your rights.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.