Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Firm Name Providing Peace of Mind During Life’s Toughest Times.
  • Schedule a Consultation Today!
  • ~
  • Hablamos Español

Pittsburgh Name Change Lawyer

There are many circumstances under which name changes are appropriate, including marriage and divorce. Pennsylvanians may choose to change their names at other points in time for a variety of reasons, for example, as part of a gender transition. Parents may also seek to have their children’s names changed after a divorce or remarriage.

The process of changing a name in Pennsylvania is usually more than a simple one-step form, however. Changing the name of a minor child can involve jumping through significant legal hoops, especially if the child’s other parent does not agree to the change. If you have reason to change your name or the name of your child, the Pittsburgh name change lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., are here to help.

Name Change Process in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania statute governs the procedure to change a name, and the process occurs in the Court of Common Pleas through the filing of a petition. Each county has specific processes and forms for filing a name change petition. The name change attorneys at Bunde & Roberts can walk you through the process.

To change your name, you must have a valid reason which the court considers reasonable. That may include marriage, separation, divorce, adoption, sex change, etc. You cannot change your name in order to commit fraud, avoid debts, or avoid civil or criminal liability.

Dealing With a Name Change Contest

Not all name changes can be completed without challenge. An interested party with appropriate standing may contest name change proceedings. For example, after a divorce or separation, one parent may wish to change their child’s surname from what appears on his or her birth record. In such a case, the other parent may object. If a petitioning parent can demonstrate that it is in the best interest of the minor child to assume a different last name, the Court may grant the request. A knowledgeable Pennsylvania family law and name change attorney can help you through the process of changing you or your child’s name over the objections of another or represent you in contesting an unjustified name change.

Experienced Guidance with Pittsburgh Name Changes

The dedicated family law attorneys at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., are available to consult with you and guide you through Pennsylvania name change proceedings. Contact us today at 412-391-4330 to discuss your specific circumstances and options.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Get started today by filling out the quick consultation form. Upon receipt, we will get in touch to schedule a confidential consultation and discuss your needs.

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation