Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Butler Grandparent Custody Lawyer

Butler Grandparent Custody Lawyer

Grandparents often have a special place in their hearts for their grandchildren. Sadly, when family conflict breaks down communication, a parent or parents may seek to terminate the relationship that their own parents have with their minor children. Whether you, as a grandparent, simply wish to have visitation time with your grandchild, or you believe that the living situation of your grandchild is detrimental and would like to seek custody, Pennsylvania courts allow you to do so. However, when both parents of a child are still alive, it is very difficult for a grandparent to gain custody rights. Pennsylvania family courts generally give custody to the parents because that is usually in the perceived best interest of the child, though there are some circumstances in which a grandparent or grandparents can receive legal or physical custody. To learn more and to work with an experienced Butler grandparent custody lawyer, the law offices of Bunde & Roberts, P.C., have years of experience assisting grandparents with obtaining custody and visitation rights.

Circumstances in Which Grandparents Can Be Given Custody

As a grandparent, you can obtain custody or partial custody if you are able to prove to the court that it is in the child’s best interest. As stated earlier, courts usually believe that it is in the best interest of the child to be in the custody of his or her parents. But there are, of course, exceptions. Under § 5325, a grandparent can obtain partial physical custody or supervised visitation when:

  • A parent of the child is deceased;
  • Grandparents have a relationship with the child;
  • Child lived with grandparents for at least 12 months and was removed by the parents (grandparents have six months to take legal action).

Proving That Grandparents Make Custodial Guardians

According to the Atlantic, three percent of children do not live with their parents. Of these children, 43 percent live with their grandparents. “Grandfamliles” have doubled since the 1970s, and actually increased by seven percent in just the last five years alone. Sometimes, parents are just not up to the task of raising a child. Due to extreme poverty, addiction, incarceration, abuse, or mental or physical health concerns, it may be best for a parent’s minor children to live with you, the grandparent, in a safe and welcoming home. We can help show the court that this is the case, and that granting you custody, partial custody, or visitation rights is certainly in the child’s best interests.

Call a Butler Grandparent Custody Lawyer

Make no mistake, as a grandparent you face an uphill battle when it comes to gaining custody rights. You must prove to the court that it is in your grandchild’s best interests to come live with you, or for you to have legal visitation rights that go against a parent’s wishes. However, the lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C. are confident that we can give you the best chance of success so that you and your grandchild or grandchildren can be reunited, or remain together. Contact our grandparent custody lawyers at 412-391-4330 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.