Pittsburgh Adoption Lawyer
Bringing a child into your family is a life-changing decision. The decision may seem even grander when you are considering adoption. Adoption is a wonderful way to expand your family, whether you are single, in a relationship, in an opposite-sex marriage or a same-sex marriage. Adoption can be used to recognize a parent-child relationship that, in your heart, already exists, such as by legally adopting a stepchild. The adoption process, however, can be overwhelming, and there are many legal hoops and hurdles to jump through. If you want to spread the love of your family and adopt, you need a competent and compassionate Pittsburgh adoption lawyer by your side to help you get through the process smoothly and successfully. The experienced Pittsburgh adoption attorneys at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., are more than happy to help.
Skilled Representation for All Aspects of the Adoption Process in Pennsylvania
The adoption process is complex and confusing, whether you are adopting a baby locally internationally or transferring guardianship. Our Pennsylvania family law attorneys have handled many different types of adoptions. It is important to have knowledgeable and effective legal representation throughout the process.
At Bunde & Roberts, our Pittsburgh family law attorneys help you move through the adoption process, either through an adoption agency or independent adoption. The steps for adoption through an adoption agency include the following:
- First, select an adoption agency. Make sure the agency is qualified and accredited.
- Fill out the adoption application and begin the screening process. At this stage, the adoption agency may have you attend an orientation to learn more about your family and where you will learn about the facets of adoption. In the state of Pennsylvania, you are eligible to adopt if you are over age 21, have no child-related criminal charges, and have the means to support a child.
- Complete your family profile with the agency. The adoption agency completes the profile after meeting with your family to help the agency learn about your family and help your family learn about the children who are up for adoption. In Pennsylvania, the Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange (PAE) maintains a database of children along with a list of families who are looking to adopt.
- Begin the matching process and visit with children who are identified as potential good fits.
- If your family and the child are a good match, the child moves into your home in a pre-adoptive placement.
- For approximately six months after placement, adoption workers stage regular visits with the adoptive family for support and to check on the welfare of the child.
- If all is well after the trial period, the adoption is finalized.
At every step of the way, there may be significant paperwork, documents to collect and fill out, interviews to conduct, people to contact, places to visit, and legal requirements to satisfy. The dedicated adoption lawyers at Bunde & Roberts have the experience, the passion, and the desire to work with you throughout the adoption process so that you can focus on expanding your family.
Get Help With Your Pittsburgh Adoption
Adoption is an exciting event. At Bunde & Roberts, we are committed to helping you get through the process smoothly and minimize any issues. If you are considering adoption in Pittsburgh or throughout Western Pennsylvania, reach out to the passionate and detail-oriented Pittsburgh adoption lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., for assistance with the adoption process. Call our Pittsburgh family law office today at 412-391-4330 for a consultation.