Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Butler Name Change Lawyer

Butler Name Change Lawyer

According to the Chicago Tribune, 80 percent of brides change their last names to their husbands’. But that is not the only reason for a name change. Divorce, marriage, a dislike of a current name, gender transition, and changing the name of a minor child after divorce are just a few of the many reasons why thousands of Pennsylvania residents choose to take on a different name. Deciding to change one’s name is a complicated process made even more difficult by Pennsylvania’s legal system of name change—it takes quite a bit more than filling out a simple form. You will have the best chance of a successful, smooth transition by working with an experienced Butler name change lawyer at Bunde & Roberts, P.C.

Taking on a Different Name in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania requires individuals to have a valid reason for changing one’s name, a process that is carried out in the Court of Common Pleas by filing a petition. Common, and valid, reasons for requesting a name change include:

  • Divorce;
  • Separation;
  • Marriage;
  • Adoption;
  • Sex change or gender transition;
  • Dislike of a current name;
  • Identifying with a foreign nationality;
  • Taking on a nickname;
  • Taking on an “Americanized” name to avoid discrimination; and
  • Hyphenation of a name in marriage.

Invalid reasons for a name change include:

  • Avoiding debt;
  • Committing fraud
  • Avoiding civil liability;
  • Avoiding criminal liability;
  • Avoiding child support payments; and
  • More.

Each County in Pennsylvania Has its Own Specific Name Change Process

To make matters even more complicated, each county in Pennsylvania has specific requirements and forms for a name change, which is why you must work with a local attorney who understands the specific process within the county you reside.

When a Name Change is Contested

According to a TellWut survey, 21 percent of people do not like their own names. While changing a first name because you do not like it will probably not result in a challenge, attempting to change a child’s name often does. For example, a parent may wish to change their child’s first or last name after divorce. If the other parent does not agree to this name change, he or she can object. Only if the petition parent—the parent who wishes for the name change—can show the court that it is in the child’s best interest to change his or her name, will the petitioning parent be successful. Whether you are the petitioning parent or the objecting parent, you need legal representation in the event of a contested name change of your minor child, whether you are divorced, separated, or neither.

Reach Out to a Butler Name Change Lawyer Today for Immediate Assistance

Whether you are seeking a name change because of marriage, you are going through a gender transition, or are in a legal battle to change or keep your minor child’s name following divorce with the child’s other parent, an attorney can help. Call or contact lhe Butler name change lawyers at Bunde & Robert today at 412-391-4330 to schedule your consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.