Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Greensburg Interstate & International Custody Issues Lawyer

Greensburg Interstate & International Custody Issues Lawyer

Custody disputes are almost always complicated and challenging to resolve, even when the parents aren’t adversarial. If one parent lives in another state or even out of the country, determining custody can be even more challenging. There will be questions on which court has jurisdiction, what law will apply, and how the court should utilize those laws. If you are facing an interstate or international custody dispute, it’s crucial to have an experienced and knowledgeable Greensburg interstate & international custody lawyer on your side.

The legal team at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., is knowledgeable and experienced. Our attorneys have over 100 years of combined legal experience representing clients facing numerous family law issues. We have represented clients in the most complicated cases involving state, federal, and even international laws. We know what is at stake in your custody matter, and we will fight to ensure your parental rights are protected, no matter what the venue is.

Interstate Custody Issues

One of the first issues in a custody dispute that involves parents living in different states is where the case should be filed and what court should have jurisdiction over the matter. Most states have adopted the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). These laws set forth guidelines on how the family law courts should handle all sorts of child custody issues, including where to file and what rules should apply.

Under the UCCJEA rules, the proper jurisdiction is typically the one where the children have resided for the prior six months. The court can consider many factors when deciding whether to exercise jurisdiction over your custody case. Some of these factors include:

  • Whether your child has strong connections with people in the state, such as family members, teachers, and doctors
  • Was there an original child custody order issued in another state and whether issues could raise concerns about the child’s safety and whether they are at risk for abandonment or abuse

The UCCJEA says the court that entered the original custody order must relinquish jurisdiction so that the court in another state can move forward with their case. If your child has never lived in either state for up to six months, and they currently reside in Pennsylvania, then the Pennsylvania court will apply jurisdiction.

International Custody Issues

International custody issues are even more challenging than interstate laws. In some cases, the courts may consider a body of international law, such as the Hague Convention. If you are looking to relocate to another country, or meet up with your children in another country, there may be unique legal issues to consider. In the event your ex took your child to another country against your wishes, you may need to look to federal laws for help. We will help you understand the various laws that apply, what the jurisdiction might be, and the best position to protect your parental rights.

Contact a Pennsylvania Family Law Attorney

If you are facing custody issues and have a dispute that spans across states or to other countries, the Greensburg interstate and international law attorneys are here to help. Contact Bunde & Roberts, P.C., at 412-391-4330 to schedule an initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.