Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Greensburg Name Change Lawyer

Greensburg Name Change Lawyer

There are numerous situations where changing your name is appropriate, including getting married or getting divorced. Other people may elect to change their name at some point in their life for different reasons, such as starting a gender transition. Another example is when parents want to change their kid’s names after they remarry or divorce.

The process of changing your name in Pennsylvania can be complicated in some situations. Changing your minor child’s name could involve numerous steps, especially if your ex is challenging the name change. If you need assistance with a name change in Pennsylvania, let a knowledgeable Greensburg name change lawyer help. At Bunde & Roberts, P.C., we have years of experience helping clients change their name or their minor child’s name. We are here to help simplify the process as much as possible.

How Name Changes Work in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania has a statute that governs how to change your name. It is done by filing a petition with the Court of Common Pleas. Every county has a specific process, and their own forms needed to file a name change petition. The Greensburg name change lawyers at Bunde & Roberts can walk you through the legal process.

To petition for a name change, there must be a valid reason that the court will consider. Common examples include marriage, separation, divorce, sex change, adoption, etc. The court won’t allow you to change your name if you are trying to commit fraud or avoid paying a debt, civil lawsuit, or criminal liability.

Dealing with Someone Contesting a Name Change

There may be instances where someone else may challenge your petition to have a name change. Any interested party who has appropriate standing has the right to contest a name change proceeding in Pennsylvania.

For example, one parent might want to change their child’s surname after a divorce or separation. This means the minor child’s name will be different than what is on their birth certificate. In that case, the other parent could object to your petition. If the parent who is petitioning can demonstrate that it’s in the best interest of your minor child to take a different name, then the court may end up granting the request. If the parent who objects can show why it’s not in your child’s best interests, the court may ultimately deny your petition.

Having a knowledgeable Greensburg family law and name change attorney on your side is essential. We can help walk you through the process of changing your name or your child’s name. If someone does object to your name change petition, we can help you work through their objections and present the strongest argument on your behalf to the court. If you are looking to contest a name change that your ex is filing, we can also assist.

Experienced Guidance with Greensburg Name Changes

Our dedicated family law attorneys at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., are here to consult with you and guide you through the name change process in Pennsylvania. To learn more about how we can help, contact our office today at 412-391-4330 to schedule an initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.