Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Greensburg Parental Relocation Lawyer

Greensburg Parental Relocation Lawyer

Filing for divorce is the first step towards what could ultimately be many significant life changes, especially if you have children. You may come to the realization that you need to go back to school, need to be close to your own family, or you want to look for a new job. However, when you have children, you have more than just your own needs to consider. You may also have a custody order that you need to comply with. If you want to move across town, the courts aren’t concerned. However, if you’re going to move out of Pennsylvania, you may need to get the court’s approval.

To get the court’s approval, you need to seek a modification of your existing custody agreement. That is where a Greensburg parental relocation lawyer can help. At Bunde & Roberts, P.C., we have years of experience assisting Pennsylvania clients with all their family law needs—including relocation requests.

Relocation with Children After Your Pennsylvania Divorce

If you are the custodial parent and need to move to a city that is far from your current residence, you need to ensure you aren’t violating any court order. If the child’s other parent has visitation or physical custody rights, then you cannot pick up and move across the county because you feel like it.

There are certain legal steps you must take in order to seek a modification of your custody order. In a perfect world, your ex will accept the move, or they might even opt to relocate as well. Unfortunately, the reality is that most co-parents will challenge the move and claim it violates their parental custody rights. Before any hearing is held, you must file a notice of intent to relocate. Your Greensburg parental relocation attorney can help with this process.

If your ex doesn’t consent to your move, you will need to get permission from the court before you can physically pick up and go. We will help you file the petition to modify your custody agreement so you can start the relocation process. You also need to develop an alternative custody arrangement that allows the co-parent to exercise their custody rights and keep in contact with their child.

What Factors Are Considered in a Relocation Case?

If your ex objects to the move, the court will need to hold a hearing where you and your attorney will show why the relocation is the right decision. You can call witnesses, present evidence, and your attorney will make arguments on your behalf. The judge will consider everything presented and render a decision. They may decide to permit you to move and grant the modification order. Or they may deny your request and declare that your children must remain in Pennsylvania—with or without you. Then, you are left with a hard decision on whether you will still make a move anyway. That means your ex could end up with more custody than you.

Contact Our Greensburg Relocation Attorneys

If you are looking to relocate with your children, let our experienced legal team help. Our compassion and seasoned Greensburg relocation attorneys are here to fight for your rights. If your ex is the one trying to take your rights away and move out of state with your children, we can help protect your parental rights as well. Contact Bunde & Roberts, P.C., today to schedule an initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.