Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Greensburg Post-Divorce Modifications Lawyer

Greensburg Post-Divorce Modifications Lawyer

For most people getting divorced, having the final decree entered would be the last contact with their ex. You would each start your own separate life with a weight lifted off your shoulders as all familial and financial issues between you both have been resolved. However, that is not necessarily how the world works. Instead, issues like child support, alimony, and child custody may tie you with your ex-spouse for years. As time passes, people’s situations change. You may not have the great job you once did, or you might need to move far away with the children for a new career.

When you or your ex-spouse undergo a significant life change, the existing divorce order may not work well. It may not fit the situation, be affordable, or even fair. Fortunately, some issues can be modified in limited circumstances after your divorce. Whether or not your particular problem is eligible for modification, you need the assistance of a skilled Greensburg post-divorce modifications lawyer. At Bunde & Roberts, P.C., we have years of experience handling post-divorce modifications for our Pennsylvania clients.

Are All Issues Eligible for Post-Divorce Modification in Greensburg?

Whether or not your issue can be resolved will depend on whether the resolution was determined through a court order or part of an agreement, like your marital settlement agreement. If you have a court order for child custody or child support, these are almost always modifiable.

If you want to alter a child support order, you must allege and be able to prove that there is a substantial change in circumstances that has caused the need for modifying support. For example, if your child develops health issues that require expensive long-term treatments, you may need additional financial help from your ex.

With child custody, the parent applying for the modification needs to show that the new custody order you are seeking is in the best interest of your children. An example might be one where your child was diagnosed with a learning disability and needs to go to a particular school across town. That could affect who picks up and drops off your children or what days of the week they are with each parent.

Alimony is another matter that can sometimes be modified after the divorce is final. Modifying alimony will depend on what the court order says or whether you have an agreement that precludes it. If you have a prenuptial agreement that sets forth a certain amount of alimony or says there is no room for modification, then it would not be allowed.

One matter that typically cannot be modified after the divorce is whatever marital property you distributed. If you discovered fraud occurred and your ex either hid or didn’t disclose certain assets, the court may go back and grant you some type of relief.

Get Help with Your Pennsylvania Post-Divorce Modifications

If you are looking to modify a divorce court order such as custody, alimony, or child support payments, you need a skilled Greensburg post-divorce modification attorney to protect your rights. Contact Bunde & Roberts, P.C., today at 412-391-4330 to learn more about how we can help.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.