Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer
Schedule a Consultation Today! Hablamos Español 412-391-4330
Pittsburgh Divorce Lawyer > Blog > Child Spousal Support > What Remedies Are Available if Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Pay Child Support?

What Remedies Are Available if Your Ex-Spouse Does Not Pay Child Support?


It can be extremely difficult to navigate the legal system when your ex-spouse is not paying their court-ordered child support. The idea of having to take legal action against an ex can be daunting, but there are remedies available that you should consider if you find yourself in this situation.

If your ex-spouse fails or refuses to pay child support, our Pittsburgh child support lawyers at Bunde & Roberts, P.C., can help. We will help you understand what remedies are available in your specific case to ensure that you get the payments you are owed quickly.

Remedies for When Your Ex-Spouse Doesn’t Pay Child Support

Let’s take a look at the possible remedies for when your ex-spouse does not pay their court-ordered child support. The following remedies are all viable options when trying to collect overdue payments from an uncooperative spouse who refuses to abide by the terms set forth by the court regarding child support payment requirements.

1. Ask the Court for Enforcement of the Order / Which may include Contempt of Court

If the other parent fails to pay court-ordered child support, you can ask the court for enforcement. If they continue to fail to comply, they may be held in contempt of court and face legal consequences such as incarceration and/or fines.

Note: In Pennsylvania, individuals found in contempt of court for failure to comply with a support order face a fine of up to $1,000, imprisonment for up to six months, and/or probation for up to one year (23 Pa.C.S.A. § 4345).

2. Ask for an Income Withholding Order

An income withholding order legally requires your ex’s employer to withhold a certain amount from each paycheck. This ensures that part of their earnings will go directly toward paying support.

3. Garnish Bank Accounts

You may be able to garnish bank accounts, such as checking and savings accounts. There are procedures which would allow you to pursue this remedy.

4. Ask for a Lien on Property

If the other parent has assets such as real property or vehicles, you can ask the court for a lien on those items. This can be effective to recover unpaid child support.

Contact Bunde & Roberts, P.C., to Discuss Your Situation

Child support enforcement laws exist in every state, so it is important that you understand what options are available if your ex does not pay regularly or at all.

Being informed about these remedies allows individuals whose ex-spouse does not pay child support to ensure they can receive what is rightfully theirs without further delay or disruption. Contact Bunde & Roberts, P.C., to discuss your unique situation and determine your best course of action. Call 412-391-4330 to get a consultation.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Bunde & Roberts, P.C., Attorneys at Law. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.